Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

My friend Janel made this soup last week when Abel and I went to visit her and her kids. It's from the latest Barefoot Contessa cookbook -- and it's amazingly good. I made it the other night, and we all loved it here, and so did my mom and sister when I brought them leftovers. Here's my shorthand version of the recipe.

3-4 lb butternut squash (about 2 medium), peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 yellow onions, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
2 Macintosh apples, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups stock (I used veggie broth)
1/2 tsp curry powder
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 425. Toss squash, onion and apple chunks together in a bowl with olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Spread mixture in a single layer on two rimmed baking sheets, and roast for 35-45 minutes. Puree mixture in batches with stock, and then gently reheat. Stir in curry, and taste to see if you need more salt & pepper.

No comments: