Thursday, September 25, 2008

Black Bean Chili

A friend just asked for this recipe (which she misplaced). It's a good thing -- I otherwise might have forgotten all about it. I haven't prepared it myself in years, but now I'm going to. You can substitute canned beans if you prefer -- but you'll need a lot of them (like 4 cans).

4 cups dry black beans & water for soaking
5-6 cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 1/4 tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
crushed red pepper or cayenne, to taste
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 green bell peppers
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup tomato puree
8 oz. canned diced green chiles

Soak beans in 8 cups water overnight.

Bring beans and water to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cook 2 hours. Drain off all but 2-3 cups water.

In a separate pan, sauté peppers with garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, and red pepper/cayenne in olive oil, until peppers are tender.

Add sauté to beans, along with tomato puree and green chiles and simmer on low for about 45 minutes. Stir in lime juice before serving.

Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

Charles said...

I made this for a potluck with a couple of variations. I added a pound of ground buffalo after browning in a cast iron skillet, and I added poblano peppers from our garden in place of the green chile. (We roasted the peppers and then froze them at the end of the season. They gave the dish a green, smokey flavor.) It was a big hit! Several people went out of their way to let me know how good it was, and a couple of folks asked for the recipe. Thank you!